Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cupcake Pops

I tried making Bakerella's Cupcake Pops for Halloween.  Mine did not turn out as cute or "perfect" as Bakerella's, but I was kind of in a rush.  And, I think these take a little practice to get them to look "extra cute". 

1 box cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake) I used Double Fudge.
1 container of frosting (16 oz.) I used cream cheese.
Wax paper or foil
candy melts (1 lb. pkg.) - I used Orange for Halloween.
Lollipop sticks


After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.


Mix thoroughly with 1 container of frosting. (I used my hands for this, but it is messy.  Also, you may not need the entire can of frosting, so start out by using about 3/4 of the container and then add more if you need to.)


Roll mixture into quarter size balls and place on wax paper or foil covered cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50)  I used my cookie scoop from Pampered Chef.

Cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for several hours.

TIP: You can speed this up by placing in the freezer for about 15 minutes.


Remove. Begin to shape into cupcakes using a small flower-shaped cookie cutter.  Take the chilled ball and roll it into more of an oval and then slide into cookie cutter. Push it into cutter until about half fills the cutter and the rest sticks out of the top in the shape of a mound. Then push the shaped cupcake carefully out of the cookie cutter from the bottom. Set right side up on a wax paper covered cookie sheet. Continue with remaining balls.  I struggled a bit with this step.  I think my balls were a little too moist, and I also think this takes a little practice.

Melt chocolate in the microwave per directions on package. (30 sec intervals, stirring in between.)


Once shaped, cover and return to freezer. (5-10 minutes)

TIP: You can leave them covered in the refrigerator overnight if you want to do the dipping on the following day.  This is probably a good idea because by the time I got to this step, I was in a big rush.


While cupcake shapes are chilling, begin to heat up your chocolate bark.


Brown chocolate bark for the bottoms.  Choose your top color to suit your occasion.


Follow the instructions on the package for melting. Most recommend heating for 30 second intervals at a time and stirring in between. You can also do the double boiler method. Place them in the freezer for a little while to firm up.


Take the cupcake shaped mixture and dip bottoms into the melted chocolate – just to the point where the mounded shape starts. Remove from chocolate, turn upside down and wiggle so that the excess starts to slide down slightly. Then lay on the wax paper upside down. If you want them to be lollipops, then go ahead and insert the lollipop sticks while the chocolate is still wet. Continue with rest of the cupcakes. You can also leave some without the sticks. They’re just as cute as Cupcake Bites. Add the sprinkles and candy of your choice.  There are multiple suggestions at Bakerella's site.

TIP: Dip end of your lollipop stick in the melted chocolate before inserting into chocolate bottoms. Not sure if this helps a lot, but it couldn’t hurt.

Place in a styrofoam block to dry.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is complicated! I never got past mixing the cake and icing when I tried it (wrong consistency!) Anyway, they sure looked cute and the kids thought they were very tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Other Yummy Recipes You Might Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...